Social Networking sites: The most popular feature of Internet can be a boon or a curse depending on how you use it and for what purpose you use it. A social networking site will allow you to connect with friends and families thus establishing important social relationships.
Among these social networking sites, Facebook is at the top list, the site is so popular that almost everyone who surf the web are its members. Just recently Facebook has announced that its members have reached billion, making it the top and mostly active social networking sites ever.
Beside Facebook, there are other social networking sites like Pinterest, MySpace, twitter, bebo and Friendster that are also popular among internet surfers. Each of these social networking sites have its own unique features but there major objective is the same that is to help people connect with their friends and family members.
Social Networking Sites: Pros
- These social networking sites are free of cost and everyone that has met the age limitation will be able to sign up and become a member.
- One can easily connect to his friends and family members and even reconnect with old friends or people he knew.
- It will help you establish important social relationships like creating real life friendship through similar interests and groups.
- You can share your thoughts and interests with those with similar interests by joining the groups and forums.
- It will also help you establish business contacts and sometimes helps the members to get a job.
- You will need to create a profile page in most of these sites which will help you express your designing skills and let others know more about your personality.
- These sites often let you share your favorite music, video clips and movies with others. This will help others to know more about you.
- Statistics show that social networking sites are among the top 5 news sources. Meaning the members can easily know the latest news and even that local news that is not covered by the radio or newspaper.
- This might be surprising but it’s a fact. Law enforcement finds social networking sites useful tools to capture and prosecute criminals.
- Students can share their views and ideas together with their classmates. They can help each other solve a problem or discuss about the topics they find hard with their teachers resulting good marks in their exams.
- Since most of these social networking sites have live chat rooms and forums, anyone can talk with people without any hesitation especially those who are socially isolated or shy. This will help them improve their relationships and make new friends.
- Studies show that social networking sites help reduces health problems. Since you won’t have time to worry about unnecessary things, the site prevents depressions and mental tensions.
- Social networking sites play a crucial role in a political change or a community work. Since anyone can share their views and discuss in a topic, it helps to encourage and mobilize people to attend a political rally and meeting.
- Social bookmarking sites play an important role in these hard economic crises; they are good for the economy. There are thousands of people currently working under these sites; these sites are a great revenue source for the country.
- Artists can easily build their audiences and can easily connect to their fans. Fans can get info about their next releases, live events and their interests through social networking sites.
Social Networking Sites: Cons
- These sites can be quite addictive so people will spend more time online wasting efforts and activities that could have brought some productive results.
- Not everyone would know about the privacy settings and cyber crimes. The pictures, videos and comments they share could be visible to the public. Sometimes thefts and criminal minded people will use this personal information to blackmail or threaten others.
- Cyber bullying has increased in these past few years and the main reason is due to the popularity of these social networking sites. Cyber bullying can result suicide, mental tensions, depression and decreased self esteem.
- Studies show that most of the employees use social networking sites during their office hours resulting in great economic loss to the industry and the government.
- Social bookmarking sites are easier and safe tools for people with criminal intensions, they can easily hack someone’s profile to get personal information, spread viruses and spywares over the internet.
- Not every information you will hear in these sites will be real because there are no boundaries to post one’s view. So these sites can be an unreliable and false information source sometimes.
- Most of the teenagers who are addicted to these sites have decreased grades and even decreased personality.
- Since face to face socializing is impossible in these sites, one could feel socially isolated or shy when talking to a person.
- Studies show that those who frequently use the social networking sites are prone to mental tensions and other diseases because of lack of exercises and unhealthy time schedule.
- It can have negative impact on your offline relationship due to lack of face to face argument and physical confrontation.
- The information posted in the profile page does not necessarily mean that they are all real unless you know the person. Teenagers often get tricked by this false information and become a victim of cyber bullying.
Pros and Cons are like two sides of the coin; they always come hand in hand. The rule applies in here as well. There are pros as well as cons of the social networking sites but this all depends on how you use it. If you are well aware of the consequences and know what you should do and what you must not then a social networking site can be a boon for you. However if you do not care and are reckless then the same boon can be a curse that will hunt you forever. So be careful, stay safe and enjoy what the technology has to offer.